Electric Heater Safety-Preventing a Fire
It is that time of year again when we pull out our space/electric heaters for added warmth. What you see in this photo was caused directly from an electric heater on the second floor of an attached barn. Luckily no one was hurt and SERVPRO of Manchester was able to go in, demo, mitigate the water damage from putting out the fire and clean up any debris.
We want you to be happy and safe this winter so here are a few simple safety tips while using an electric heater:
1. Only plug these heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do NOT use: extension cords, surge protectors, plug timers or G.F.C.I outlets.
2. Keep the heater on the floor, preferably not a rugged floor. Putting it on any furniture, table or other fixture increases the risk of it falling over or overheating possibly causing a fire.
3. Make sure the heater is always 3 feet away from any flammable object. This includes furniture, papers, curtains, pillows/bedding and even paint that is potentially flammable.
4. Though this happens way too often; Do NOT leave your heater on when no one is home. Consider this especially if you have pets that could possibly knock the heater over causing it to catch fire while you are out.
Stay safe and Happy holidays!